Aid and Award Process

The process of applying for financial aid is an important part of preparing for your education at UIW. Find information on applying for aid, understanding your award letter and exploring next steps to complete your financial aid file.

Apply for Financial Aid

Use the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to apply for financial assistance (grants, work-study and loans) to pay for college. You (and your parent, if you are a dependent student) will need to create an FSA ID before starting the process. Be sure to include UIW on your FAFSA, using school code 003578 so we receive your application. The FAFSA for the following year opens Oct. 1.

  • Certain "eligible noncitizens" may still qualify to complete the FAFSA:
    • Generally, you are an eligible noncitizen if you are
      • (1) a permanent U.S. resident with a Permanent Resident Card (I-551);
      • (2) a conditional permanent resident with a Conditional Green Card (I-551C);
      • (3) the holder of an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from the Department of Homeland Security showing any one of the following designations: “Refugee,” “Asylum Granted,” “Parolee” (I-94 confirms that you were paroled for a minimum of one year and status has not expired), T-Visa holder (T-1, T-2, T-3, etc.) or “Cuban-Haitian Entrant;” or
      • (4) the holder of a valid certification or eligibility letter from the Department of Health and Human Services showing a designation of “Victim of human trafficking.”
  • Resources for Non-U.S. Citizens
    Explore options available to non-U.S. citizens which are not dependent upon the FAFSA.
  • Texas Application for State Financial Aid (TASFA)
    Students who are eligible to domicile in the United States, are classified as Texas residents (see Texas Residency FAQs below), who are ineligible to apply for federal financial aid using the FAFSA, can complete the Texas Application for State Financial Aid (TASFA). The TASFA application is used to determine eligibility for state-funded grant aid, which is the Texas Equalization Grant (TEG) up to $3,300 annually. Once admitted to UIW, submit your signed TASFA and documents using the secure uploader.
    Documents required to be submitted for the TASFA:
    • Texas Residency Affidavit
      • Requires that you be eligible to domicile in the United States. Students on F1/F2 or J1/J2 visas are not eligible to domicile, and therefore will not qualify for the TASFA.
      • Must be notarized – the state has not authorized any leniency on this notarization. However, some notaries do offer online notarization services. Contact a notary near you to verify options.
    • Signed copy of parents' 2018 tax return (if they filed) for 2020-2021 TASFA
      Signed copy of parents' 2019 tax return (if they filed) for 2021-2022 TASFA
      Note: If parents earned enough to be required to file, but did NOT file, you will not be eligible for TEG.
    • Male TASFA students only

Texas Residency FAQs:

  • How do I establish residency in Texas?
    • Dependent students:
      • If your parents live in Texas, and are claiming you as a dependent on their tax return (or are eligible to claim you as a dependent), then your residency is determined based on your parents' residency status.
    • Independent students:
      • Must not be claimed as a dependent for income tax purposes, be a US citizen or permanent resident (have a I-551 or evidence of I-551 stamp in the passport) or international student who is eligible to establish a domicile in Texas, live in the state of Texas for 12 consecutive months, and establish a domicile in Texas prior to enrollment.
  • How do I establish domicile in Texas (non-international students)?
    • A domicile in Texas is presumed if, at least 12 months prior to the census date of the semester in which he or she is to enroll, at least one of the following applies: 1) the person owns real property in Texas, 2) the person owns a business in Texas, 3) the person is married to someone who has established a domicile in Texas, 4) the person has had gainful employment other than work-study and other such student employment in Texas.
  • I am an international student. How can I establish residency?
    • The following international students are eligible to establish a domicile in Texas under the law and can obtain Texas residency if they meet the basic residency requirements as listed in previous FAQs:
      • Parolee, holder of asylum status or refugee.
      • A student who has applied for adjustment of status to permanent residency (must have received an I-485 notice of action for the green card application).
      • Holder of a visa that is eligible to domicile in the United States.
      • High school graduation in Texas after 36 months of residency in the state (see next FAQ).
  • I am an international student who has attended a Texas high school for three consecutive years. Can I qualify for Texas residency?
    • International students who meet all of the following requirements will qualify for Texas residency regardless of INS status:
      • Graduate from a Texas high school or receive a GED.
      • Reside in Texas for the 36 months immediately preceding graduating from a Texas high school or receipt of the GED.
      • Reside in Texas for the 12 months preceding the census date of the academic semester in which you enrolled in an institution of higher education.
      • Sign an affidavit stating that you meet the above qualifications and will apply for permanent residency upon first availability to do so.

Additional Resources

Main Campus Undergraduate

Financial Assistance Guides and Checklists

Cost Information

2024-2025 (Fall 2024, Spring 2025, Summer 2025):

  • 2024-2025 Main Campus Information Sheet (PDF)
    Use this information to learn about applying, eligibility and general costs for 2024-2025 award year.
  • 2024-2025 Main Campus Estimated Cost Worksheet (PDF) (coming soon)
    Use this worksheet to estimate your direct costs for 2024-2025.
  • 2024-2025 Financial Assistance Options (PDF)
    These options include information about costs, aid options and next steps, and reminders for the 2024-2025 award year.

2023-2024 (Fall 2023, Spring 2024, Summer 2024):

Understanding Your Awards

Main Campus Graduate

SPS Undergraduate

SPS Graduate

Professional Programs